After traveling for 30 years to the beaches of the world, surfing the waves of all oceans; After having known paradisiacal places, I could only observe the environmental drama which unfolded before our eyes, the deterioration of the oceans appeared to me obvious.
Over the years, I have been able to observe the beaches and waters devastated by pollution, but also to meet the populations directly affected by this scourge, to which are added today the problems of global warming and rising water levels.
It soon became impossible to take the same pleasure in the water while almost every beach is an alarm call from the ocean.
The click was on my last trip while surfing Greenbush Mentawai Islands, a total awareness of this paradox, so much beauty It was necessary to act, react, be a player of progress, create a project with a wire “green” and three priorities: Environment, Health, Protection.
It is in this context that the Greenbush brand was born.
We created a line of sun care without chemical filters, natural and mineral product that preserves the oceans, especially corals; then stainless steel bottles to stop this overconsumption of plastic bottles piling up on the beaches and in the oceans.
The oceans are essential to life on Earth: they provide 50% of the oxygen we breathe, thanks to photosynthesis by phytoplankton. Oceans are also true “carbon pumps”: they absorb about 30% of global CO2 emissions, which makes them indispensable to the fight against climate change.
It has long been known that solar ultraviolet (UV) radiation is a carcinogen, especially UVB. Sunlight is composed of several light waves including ‘invisible’ light with 3 types of UV at different wavelengths. Solar radiation breaks down into three families: ultraviolet (UV), infrared (IR) and visible light. If the infrared are not insignificant (heat, insolation, which penetrate to the hypodermis …), they do not burn the skin. It is better to focus on ultraviolet A, B and C. UVA penetrate deep into the skin, can cause skin changes, photo aging, collagen degradation, elastin … UVC are the most dangerous but are normally completely stopped by the ozone layer.
UVB penetrates only the superficial layers of the skin. However, their activities are very strong. They are responsible for tanning but also sunburn (erythema), they burn. In addition to activating melanin, they produce high doses of free radicals, accelerate skin aging and disrupt the production of collagen and elastin. They are also the leading cause of skin cancer in the broad sense.
Globally, it is estimated that 20% of the reefs and associated ecosystems have been irretrievably destroyed in recent decades due to anthropogenic and natural pressures. Of the remaining 80%, only 30% would be in satisfactory condition.
We produce an average of 300 million tonnes of plastic a year and it is estimated that between 8 and 12 million tonnes end up in our oceans – the equivalent of a garbage truck every minute. The most common marine debris consists of plastic and synthetic materials that have disastrous effects on marine life and seabirds.